
Today we, as a group, were busy editing a shared document on google docs. That has got to be the most innovative, useful, creative, and collaborative tool that can be infused into a classroom trying to incorporate more technology. It gets to be a bit tricky when you are typing and then your words get bumped elsewhere when someone is editing at the same time that you are. But it certainly was a fun tool; something that I would like to have more time with.
Seeing that we deleted some of the document brings a bit of concern to me. I understand that it could be revised , but students would have to be taught how to get back what is accidently erased. Then, there are those fun troublemakers that would take enjoyment in erasing information. This would have to be addressed at the beginning. However, if you can still retrieve information then I guess there would be no harm....perhaps only the respect issue.
Either way I think it will be a useful tool to implement in the class next year.
One important thing I came to realize....thanks Glen....is that I don't have to "share" my changes. I can simply say "save" instead. But then the question that comes to mind is what purpose does the "save" button serve?
Until next time,
Me
2 comments:
Good point Sheri,
the save button in Google Docs seems to be pretty much redundant as the application automatically saves every few seconds. It might be useful to be able to manually force a save between cycles.
If you find another good reason for this function let us know.
I agree that google docs is great and could be used effectively in the classroom. I also think that some students might cause problems through deletions etc., however, an important aspect of Literacy with ICT is teaching students to be ethical and responsible. This may be a good tool to explain this to the students. Just because something is easy to do(delete text) and you may not get caught, does it make it right?
Post a Comment