Just putting this out there to see what others are doing?
When I went to university initially I took a course that helped me to create a teaching portfolio. I have since changed things up a bit and my original portfolio is my working portfolio. In addition to my working portfolio I have a smaller teaching portfolio so when I need to bring it to an interview or discuss my professional growth plans, I have the pertinent information there. This is handy considering I still am trying to land more teaching work. Another item that I include with my resume is my "portfolio at a glance". This is just a pamphlet that really condenses my portfolio into a handy item that is easier to browse through.
Now I am aware that some people are making digital portfolios that they have burned onto a CD. I am curious what others are doing and if you are doing portfolios, what do you do?
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I use a blog as a portfolio and post my resume and descriptions of activities and projects. It is a semi-permanent record, but it is easy to keep current.
Your blog can also become your professional PD portfolio and a personal encyclopedia of you.
If you really needed to, you could print out a resume or burn it to a CD but it is much easier to circulate a URL. If you link your resume as a document file of some kind the prospective employer can print it out from there.
That is assuming that the places you are applying are technologically prepared to take information that way.
do we really want all of this important information on us out there?
I actually used to think it was awesome. About 10 years ago, I came accross a guy who posted his resume online. It was a way for employeres to find him. I wanted that and spent 5 years making it happen, along with my own webpage. www.jasonnadeau.com
I have since taken the page down. As an educator you must remain private because you are a professional.
I have since updated and uploaded my resume and documents on www.applytoteach.ca
This website only allows school boards to view your documents and information. In a day of identity theft I would advise against revealing too much.
do we really want all of this important information on us out there?
I actually used to think it was awesome. About 10 years ago, I came accross a guy who posted his resume online. It was a way for employeres to find him. I wanted that and spent 5 years making it happen, along with my own webpage. www.jasonnadeau.com
I have since taken the page down. As an educator you must remain private because you are a professional.
I have since updated and uploaded my resume and documents on www.applytoteach.ca
This website only allows school boards to view your documents and information. In a day of identity theft I would advise against revealing too much.
Yes, anothe glitch occurred, oops
Oh yea, I have a Video Cd I use which has me with students (with signed student consents with me of course) and it allows me to bring technology to the interview. Portfolio's are still the standard, but a Powerpoint or Slideshow would definitely be handy to have with the portfolio to set you aside from the others.
I will admit to you, the ones who will be hiring you are OLD. They do not like technology or want to waste time. They want the paper format.
Hope this honesty helps..
Post a Comment